Look, I’m SUPER excited to see Watchmen when it hits theaters tomorrow. I’ve been absolutely giddy about it since I read the graphic novel last year. I’ve been following movie news sites for leaked images and updates for quite some time. I don’t think I’ve been this excited for a movie since the Lord of the Rings trilogy came out (and if you know me, you’ll know that that was 3 years of me totally geeking out). I just bought tickets for the 4:15 IMAX screening tomorrow (sorry, Stew!). So you’ll be hard pressed to find someone more excited about Watchmen than me.
That said, I’m starting to get weary of the marketing blitz. Seriously, folks, don’t you think this is a bit much?
click to enlarge
Seriously, RottenTomatoes, I think that people are well aware that this movie is coming out. Do you REALLY need to devote over 50% of your front page real estate to Watchmen? I think this is the definition of “obtrusive online marketing campaign”. Let’s take a closer look at this disaster:
click to enlarge
1. Header image link to “Watchmen Headquarters” (whatever that is). I think the costumed heroes in the grass is a nice touch. Cute.
2. A standard 728×90 banner ad for the Watchmen Motion Comic DVD. (I’ve seen one episode of this and it’s actually pretty cool)
3. Featured article on the Heroes of Watchmen. Okay whatever.
4. Small banner advertising the Watchmen Motion Comic DVD. TOTALLY UNECESSARY!
5. Noting that Watchmen is coming out tomorrow. And that it has gotten a disquieting 64% on the RottenMeter.
6. Thumbnail for the Watchmen Character Guide, as featured in #3… I think.
7. Photos from the Watchmen Premiere Gallery.
8. Another link to the Watchmen Premiere Gallery, this time featuring the two female leads and the words “red carpet”. For some reason, I get that they’re trying to appeal to the Grey’s Anatomy viewing demographic. Wait, Denny’s in this movie?!? OMG!!
9. An unnecessarily large rich media banner, again hawking the Watchmen Motion Graphic DVD. This one actually plays the trailer (whether you want it to or not) and expands to “take over” the page you originally navigated to (with the intention of finding information). Although I have created a few of these ads in my time. I’m not a big fan of them. They are deceitfully distracting and rudely obtrusive, and not to mention in this case, laughably redundant. Moving on…
10. Headline from RT News saying that Watchmen broke a record for the biggest opening (aka most theatres) of an R-rated movie.
11. Oh yeah, caught this one late – Watchmen is in the list of most anticipated upcoming movies. And understandably so. How could anyone miss it?
So there you have it, folks. The Watchmen overkill is official (at least at RottenTomatoes.com) and didn’t even scroll down the page. in 30 hours from now, I’ll be sitting in my seat with a bucket of popcorn and Finn at my side eagerly waiting for the lights to go down wondering “How the heck did these people hear about this movie anyways?”